Our vision, mission and values
Hampton Roads Community Foundation is guided by its Vision, Mission and Values, which influence the actions we take every day on behalf of our region and its residents.
A thriving community with opportunity for all
Make life better in Hampton Roads through leadership, philanthropy, and civic engagement
- Collaboration—finding answers together
- Excellence—superlative stewardship and service
- Integrity—honesty and respect in all things
- Justice—advancing equity and inclusion
- Knowledge—listening, learning, innovating
Our Commitment to Racial Equity
We believe that racial equity is essential to the success of our region and its people. We further believe that advancing a more equitable and inclusive community is core to the mission of the Hampton Roads Community Foundation.
Race has long held a defining place in American society. It is embedded in our culture, laws and policies, educational institutions, and economy. The result is a system of racial bias and inequities that limits opportunities for people of color. If left unchallenged, such structural racism threatens our future.
To be sure, this system is bigger than the Hampton Roads Community Foundation and the region. It is nonetheless a powerful force pushing against “a thriving community with opportunity for all”—what our community foundation envisions for the people of Hampton Roads.
Our focus is on continual community improvement
- We connect charitable people with causes and nonprofits to improve life in southeastern Virginia.
- We manage permanent and other charitable funds established by individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
- We invest charitable gifts so they help our community now and are positioned to grow in the future.
- We are rigorous and responsible in our role as the largest grant and scholarship provider in southeastern Virginia.