Start a Scholarship Fund
It's easy to be a part of changing someone's life for the better. By starting a permanent scholarship fund with us (e.g. the Jane M. Doe Scholarship Fund) you can help people for generations to come attend college and honor a loved one by naming the fund for them.
Here are a few simple steps to get you started:
1. Talk with us to share your ideas for helping others achieve their educational goals. You also should talk with your attorney, accountant or other professional advisor.
3. You will need to decide the criteria for scholarships recipients. Perhaps it is the college they will attend or a certain field of study. We can help you select criteria that works well.
4. Complete a Charitable Gift Agreement.
5. Make an irrevocable gift of at least $25,000 or arrange for a future gift through a bequest or other estate plan.
6. When we receive your gift to start the fund, we will sign the gift form and return a copy to you along with an acknowledgement letter that will serve as your official receipt. Please retain this letter for your tax records. (Note: Regardless of the number of distributions from your fund, you need only this one letter for tax purposes.)
7. When your scholarship is awarded, we can let you know the names of the recipients or arrange for you to meet them in person.
For questions contact Debbi Steiger, regional vice president,, at (757) 622-7951 or email@example.com.
To learn about other types of charitable funds available through the Hampton Roads Community Foundation click here.