Graduate and Medical Scholarships
Our scholarships for graduate study are provided by generous donors with an interest in education and helping people have a positive future.
We select scholarship recipients based on financial need and the specific criteria established by donors, such as field of study or college attended. Unless otherwise noted, applicants for scholarships must be from the South Hampton Roads region of Virginia.
In most cases you must maintain full-time enrollment status in your degree program.
With most scholarships, you are eligible to renew them for additional years of study.
Applications will be posted online December 1 and must be returned by the deadlines listed (ranging from March 1, 2015 to May 1, 2015 depending on the specific scholarship.)
If you are a NEW scholarship recipient and need quick access to the Online Scholarship Portal click here.
While most scholarships had a March 1 deadline, these scholarships have later deadlines. But, the deadline has passed for all 2015-16 applications. Look for 2016-17 scholarship applications to be available on December 1.
- Stephen A. Carpenter Memorial Fund – For guidance counselors in Norfolk Public Schools who are acquiring additional education related to counseling. Preference is for those with special interest in disadvantaged inner city children. This is typically a one-time scholarship. However, recipients may be considered for renewal if funds are available.
- Barron F. Black Theological Scholarship – For students at Virginia Theological Seminary (Alexandria, VA) who are candidates for the ministry. Students must be residents of the geographic region served by the Diocese of Southern Virginia.
- Richard D. and Sheppard R. Cooke Memorial Scholarship – For students at Union Presbyterian Seminary in Richmond who are candidates for the ministry. Preference will be given to students from Norfolk churches within the Presbytery of Eastern Virginia.
- William F. Miles – For a student who is preparing for leadership in a field of religious service. Recipients are recommended by Westminster Chapter #99, Order of the Eastern Star.
- Hy Smith Endowment Fund– For students at Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria who are candidates for the ministry. Students must be residents of the geographic region served by the Diocese of Southern Virginia.
- Palmer Farley Memorial Scholarship – For graduate students pursuing the creative brand management track at the Virginia Commonwealth University Brand Center. This scholarship is renewable for up to two years. Applicants may be from anywhere in the United States.