Ways to Donate / Give Current Assets
It's easy to make a charitable gift. We welcome gifts of all sizes to any existing fund, including our Community Funds that provide grants to a variety of nonprofits.
But if you donate $25,000 or more you can start a named fund and decide the purpose of it. Providing scholarships for students, grants to specific nonprofits or grants that benefit many organizations are among your choices.
Your options for making a current gift include:
- Cash:This is usually the easiest tax-deductible gift to give. You can write a check to the Hampton Roads Community Foundation and mail it to 101 W. Main Street, Suite 4500, Norfolk, VA 23510 or donate online and put your gift on your credit card by using our secure website. To use a wire transfer, please contact us at (757) 622-7951.
- Securities: A gift of securities (e.g. stocks, bonds or mutual funds) offers you advantages and significant tax savings. If your securities have appreciated and you have held them for at least 12 months, you can donate them and gain the satisfaction of making a charitable gift while also deducting the full fair market value of the donated securities.
- Mutual Funds: Donating these funds is a possibility. We encourage you to explore this option with us.
- Real Estate: We accept gifts of real estate on a case-by-case basis. Your gift should result in a fund of at least $100,000. If you have owned the property for more than 12 months, you may qualify for a tax deduction based on its fair market value.
- IRA Assets: If you are 70 1/2 or older you may wish to donate Individual Retirement Account assets. Note: Recent federal legislation restored the IRA charitable transfer option for 2013. Click here for details on how to make a charitable gift from your IRA that does not count as taxable income.
- Other assets: Please contact us if you have limited partnerships, closely held stock or other assets you would like to consider donating.
For questions, please contact Debbi Steiger, regional vice president, at (757) 622-7951 or via email at email@example.com.