For media inquiries contact Sally Hartman, vice president of communications at
757-622-7951 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reach her at 757-870-1425.
Click here to download new high resolution jpg images of:
- Deborah M. DiCroce, who became the Foundation's president and CEO on March 1, 2012.
Click here to subscribe to any of all of our monthly electronic newsletters: News & Notes, Grant Seekers Gazette or Advisor Update.
Click here to see the most recent yearbook and print newsletters as well as electronic newsletters.
What is the Hampton Roads Community Foundation?
It is a 501( c) 3 charitable organization that:
- Connects donors with causes they care about in southeastern Virginia.
- Awards grants to nonprofit organizations working to improve life in our region (Click here to see a list of recent grants).
- Provides scholarships for college students and grants for school scholarship funds (Click here for information on scholarship funds).
- Manages a community endowment that is a permanent source of funding for Hampton Roads.
- Largest grantmaker and scholarship provider in Hampton Roads.
- 50th largest community foundation in the United States (out more than 750)
- Formed on January 1, 2010 from the merger of The Norfolk Foundation (founded 1950) and The Virginia Beach Foundation (founded 1987).
- Manages nearly 400 named charitable funds created by donors from all walks of life.
- Has distributed nearly $180 million in grants and scholarships since 1950 through predecessor foundations
- Distributed more than $14.5 million in 2012 -- the largest amount ever in a single year.
- Manages assets of more than $240 million.
- Received more than $12 million in charitable gifts in 2012.
- Is one of 750-plus community foundations in the United States – 27 in Virginia. All manage and distribute charitable funds donated by people from all walks of life. Funds benefit a specific geographic region. In our case that is southeastern Virginia or Hampton Roads and the Eastern Shore of Virginia.
- Initiative areas include improving early care and education for all children in South Hampton Roads, improving Hampton Roads' economic competitiveness, improving professional development for area nonprofits, helping end homelessness in Hampton Roads and revitalizing the Park Place neighborhood in Norfolk.
- Incubated (and has invested more than $8 million dollars over the past decade in) Smart Beginnings South Hampton Roads, which is working to make sure all children in the region arrive at kindergarten ready to learn. Founded and co-sponsors the Academy for Nonprofit Excellence with Tidewater Community College and co-founded and provides office space and overhead support for the Business Consortium for Arts Support.
Expert resource on:
- Charitable giving and philanthropy (including donor-advised funds, endowments, bequests and planned giving)
- Nonprofit organizations
- Community needs
- Scholarships for college
- Efforts to improve early childhood education in Hampton Roads
- Arts stabilization in Hampton Roads
Print and Online News Stories
- Economist Endorses Regional Cooperation for Region (April 26, 2013)
- Speaker Calls Civic Leaders to Collaborate (April 24, 2013)
- New Economy Requires Regional Action, Economist Says (April 24, 2013)
- Study: Services Insufficient, Inefficient for Homeless (April 16, 2013)
- $1.2 Million in Grants Awarded (April 11, 2013)
- 2 Nonprofits Postpone Replacing Leaders (April 2, 2013)
- Sequester a Wake-up Call for Local Business Diversity?(March 17, 2012)
- Foundation Gives $1.2M in Grants to 18 Groups (December 14, 2012)
- Community Foundation Awards $600K to Charities (September 13, 2012)
- HUD Honors Hampton Roads Community Foundation (September 10, 2012)
- Foundation Awards $1.9 Million to Students,Nonprofits (June 22, 2012)
- Ex-TCC President Picked as Chesapeake First Citizen (May 17, 2012)
- One Banker's Legacy Is the Interest He Helped Build in Philanthropy (May 5, 2012)
- Hampton Roads Community Foundation Awards Grants (April 29, 2012)
- Group Gets Grant for Norfolk's Chrysler Museum (April 18, 2012)
- Foundation Hopes to Boost Economy (March 21, 2012)
- Angelica Light: A Well-run Charity Is Her Gift (February 26, 2012)
- Grants Benefit 12 Nonprofits (December 21, 2011)
- TCC President to Leave Post, Take Over Foundation (November 2, 2011)
- United States Suffers From lack of Core Curriculum (October 31, 2011)
- Norfolk Meeting Looks at Educational 'Core Curriculum' (October 27, 2011)
- More Than $500,000 in Grants Given to Local Nonprofits (September 15, 2011)
- Hampton Roads foundation doles out nearly $2M (June 27, 2011)
- First Person: Angelica D. Light, President & CEO, Hampton Roads Community Foundation (June 24, 2011)
- Longtime Leader of Foundation Will Retire (June 17, 2011)
- Good Works Without the Fireworks (June 2011)
- In the Mood for a Melody? He's Got Us Playing All Right (April 16, 2011)
- Tax Change Lets Some Use IRA for Charitable Gifts (March 6, 2011)
- $1M Gift Will Help Norfolk Academy Teach Music to Local Youngsters (January 17, 2011)
- Leader Touts Rigor of Charter Schools (October 28, 2010)
- Thanks a Million (October 15, 2010)
- April 15, 2013 WHRV HearSay Interview with Doug Henton, 2013 Community Matters speaker
- January 23, 2013 Norfolk Perspectives interview with President Deborah M. DiCroce
- October 25, 2011 WHRV HearSay interview on new education standards
- October 14, 2010 WHRV HearSay interview on education reform
- June 23, 2010 WHRV HearSay interview on charitable giving trends
Opinion Page and Other Commentary
- Roads to a Stronger Economy (March 13, 2013)
- Familiar Face for Foundation (November 5, 2011)
- Outgoing TCC Leaders Leaves Big -- And Cool -- Shoes to Fill (November 5, 2011)
- Helping Others Spread Their Wings (October 20, 2010)
- Uncovering Cash for College (March 27, 2010)
- Grants for First Quarter Are Nearly $1.2 Million (April 11, 2013)
- 2012 Grants Top $14.5 Million (December 11, 2012)
- 10 Homeless Shelters Receive $236,100 in Grants (November 15, 2012)
- 9 Nonprofits Receive $601,876 in Grants (September 7, 2012)
- Foundation Board Elects New Chair and 4 New Members (June 14, 2012)
- $781,200 in Grants to Help Area Students Succeed (June 14, 2012)
- Grant to Support Nonprofit Academy (June 14, 2012)
- Grants to Help Expand Museum and Zoo (April 16, 2012)
- $1.8 Million in Grants Awarded in 2011 (December 16, 2011)
- DiCroce named Foundation President (November 1, 2011)
- Grants to Help 8 Organizations (September 12, 2011)
- Scholarships to Help Students (June 15, 2011)
- $1.9 Million in Grants Help 8 Nonprofits (April 13, 2011)
- $1 Million Grant to Help Solve M.D. Shortage (April 9, 2010)
- Friends Honor Life-Changing Auto Dealer (February 5, 2010)
- Hampton Roads Foundation Names New President and CEO (November 1, 2011)
- U.S. Education's Core Standards -- Fewer, Clearer, Higher (Recap of October 2011 Community Matters talk)
- How Are the Children? (Recap of October 2010 Community Matters talk)