Click here to learn more about community foundations – one of the fastest-growing segments of philanthropy in the United States.
- In January 1, 2010 the Hampton Roads Community Foundation formed when the Norfolk and Virginia Beach foundations merged becoming the largest grant and scholarship provider in Hampton Roads.
- Our roots extend to 1950 when Norfolk civic leaders donated $2,350 to create The Norfolk Foundation -- the first community foundation in Virginia. It was started to serve residents of Norfolk “and a 50-mile radius.”
- In 1987 civic leaders from Virginia Beach created the Virginia Beach Foundation to provide charitable resources primarily to benefit Virginia Beach residents.
- Since then hundreds of people from all walks of life have started named, permanent charitable funds with our predecessor foundations.
- Over the years our donors' funds have provided more than $164 million in grants and scholarships to improve life in Hampton Roads. They enabled The Norfolk Foundation and The Virginia Beach Foundation to award grants and scholarships to help Hampton Roads residents lead better lives,
- The tradition of providing meaningful grants established at The Norfolk Foundation and The Virginia Beach Foundation continue today through the Hampton Roads Community Foundation. Click here for a list of recent grants.
To see highlights of our history view our milestones page.