Every year, the Partners learn about Hampton Roads issues, choose a focus area, invite nonprofits to apply for grants, go on site visits and recommend funding. In 2016, for example, nearly 250 Partners awarded $225,000 to 22 organizations whose reading mentors, shelter animals, boat builders and volunteer running coaches helped propel kids from lower-income families onto good paths in life. View the 2016 grants
For 2017 the focus is on helping youth ages 9 to 18 through prevention and intervention programs related to homelessness, foster care, abuse or human trafficking, gangs, involvement in the juvenile justice system, mental health issues or substance abuse issues. Click here to see more details about the grant guidelines.
May 18 is the deadline for nonprofits to apply for funding.
View a sample grant application Log on to start a grant application
Join the Partners, a dynamic group of philanthropists, by donating a minimum of $2,100* annually ($400 if you are age 39 or younger). Click here for a list of current members of the Community Leadership Partners. Your annual gift lets you:
- Learn first-hand about philanthropy and community needs
- Participate with your spouse or partner in grantmaking
- Get to know other community leaders and philanthropists
- Attend education and networking events
Join online or by mailing an Enrollment Form [PDF] and a check to the Hampton Roads Community Foundation. 101 W. Main Street, Suite 4500, Norfolk, VA 23510.
* $1,000 of the $2,100 gift is applied to grants and $100 pays to administer the fund; the remainder is added to a permanent endowment for future grantmaking. A proportional amount is assessed to the younger partners.