Facts, news and contact information
For media inquiries contact Sally Hartman, Vice President for Communications, via email or at (757) 622-7951. For emergencies, call (757) 870-1425.
Community foundation fact sheet [PDF]
Download new high resolution jpg images of:
Deborah M. DiCroce, Community Foundation president and CEO
Subscribe to any of all of our monthly electronic newsletters: News & Notes, Grant Seekers Gazette or Advisor Update.
Recent yearbook and other publications, stories & videos
Latest blog posts
What is the Hampton Roads Community Foundation?
A 501(c)3 charitable organization that:
- Connects charitable people in southeastern Virginia with causes and nonprofits they care about.
- Supports nonprofits and initiatives working to improve life in our region. See a list of recent grants
- Provides scholarships for school and college-age students. Read about our scholarship funds
- Manages an endowment comprised of multiple charitable funds that is a permanent source of support for issues facing Hampton Roads (see History).
- First community foundation in Virginia and the second largest of 30 today.
- 56th largest community foundation in the United States (out of more than 750).
- Predecessor foundations: The Norfolk Foundation, founded in 1950 and the Virginia Beach Foundation, founded in 1987. The Hampton Roads Community Foundation was formed on January 1, 2010 from a merger of these two neighboring community foundations.
- Manages more than 500 named charitable funds created by donors from all walks of life.
- Has distributed more than $250 million in grants and scholarships since 1950.
- Distributed nearly $15 million in charitable funds in 2016.
- Manages assets of approximately $310 million.
- Received more than $16 million in charitable gifts in 2016.
- Largest grant and scholarship provider in Hampton Roads.
- Has an affiliate foundation, the Eastern Shore of Virginia Community Foundation whose endowment we manage. It started in 2004 after the Hampton Roads Community Foundation provided a challenge grant.
- Incubated Reinvent Hampton Roads, an initiative which strives to improve Hampton Roads' economic competitiveness. In January 2016 it spun off into as a separate 501(c)3.
- Currently is incubating a collective impact early care and education initiative for area children who are prenatal to age 5 and their families.
- Incubated (and invested more than $8.5 million dollars in) Smart Beginnings South Hampton Roads (now Elevate Early Education), to ensure all children in the region arrive at kindergarten ready to learn.
- Founded and co-sponsor the Academy for Nonprofit Excellence with Tidewater Community College and co-founded and provides office space and overhead support for the Business Consortium for Arts Support.
- Is governed by a 16-member board of directors.
Expert resource on:
- Charitable giving and philanthropy (including donor-advised funds, endowments, bequests and planned giving)
- Nonprofit organizations
- Community needs in southeastern Virginia
- Scholarships for college
- Convening community participants to focus on major issues such as the regional economy and early childhood education.
Other philanthropy resources