In 2012, the Hampton Roads Community Foundation introduced new competitive Community Grant guidelines that focus on specific areas. Community grants are competitive grants awarded quarterly to nonprofits working in at least one of these major focus areas: Cultural Vitality, Economic Stability, Educational Success, Environmental Stewardship, Health & Wellness and Vibrant Places.
|Retired nurse Margot Barnhardt is just one of our many generous donors. She has four endowed funds at the Hampton Roads Community Foundation that fund human service, environmental and other important causes while also helping students go to college.
Here are five ways our donors’ unrestricted and field-of-interest funds over the past five years have helped our nonprofit partners put ideas into action:
- 9,480 students and teachers learned to protect and restore our environment
- 7,369 low-income residents with no health insurance obtained medical care
- 5,225 youth received hands-on instruction in music, art, theater or dance
- 4,375 low-income residents with no health insurance received dental care
- 651 formerly homeless people gained permanent homes and services
Learn how you can forever help our region by establishing an unrestricted or field-of-interest fund.